Summer 2023 Legal Internships in the Expungement and Civil Protection Order Programs
We are seeking talented and motivated law students from DC area universities to work alongside our skilled lawyers in tackling issues of social justice and equality while gaining valuable insight into the day-to-day operations of a legal services non-profit organization. Our Expungement Program offers legal services to community residents looking to seal or expunge their DC criminal records. Our Civil Protection Order Project provides civil representation to respondents in civil protection order and anti-stalking order cases.
- Interns should be available to work a minimum of 20 hours per week.
- Internships are unpaid. (We can assist with paperwork related to stipends, grants, etc.)
- Rising 3Ls will be given preference, however students in any year are invited to apply.
- Start and end dates are flexible, but we ask that interns agree to a term of service.
- Deadline to apply is April 1, 2023
Typical assignments include:
- Conducting client intake
- Conducting in-depth interviews with clients
- Preparing retainer agreements and FOIA requests
- Drafting client profiles
- Updating case management files
- Assisting with law clinic, fundraising, and community outreach events
- Developing content for outreach efforts
- Responding to telephone and email inquiries
- Providing additional office support as needed
To apply, please submit a cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.