Rising for Justice’s robust pro bono program increases our impact by providing legal assistance and representation for hundreds of D.C. residents each year.
We refer dozens of matters a year to pro bono attorneys after careful screening by Rising for Justice staff members. Our attorneys are on hand to provide expert mentoring to each and every case referred.
We are currently accepting pro bono attorneys for two programs:
- Expungement Clinic – Pro Bono attorneys have the opportunity to represent clients eligible for DC criminal record sealing. Rising for Justice provides training and mentoring throughout the entire process.
- Time commitment: 5-10 hours total over the course of 3-4 months, per motion to seal.
- More information about our Expungement Clinic here.
- Civil Protection Order Project – Pro Bono attorneys have the opportunity to provide same-day, walk-in assistance to individuals responding to Civil Protection Orders at DC Superior. Rising for Justice provides training ahead of time and then will be on-site during pro bono attorney shifts at the in-court CPOP office.
- Time commitment: 3-4 hours per shift.
- More information about our Civil Protection Order Project here.